Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

"Redeeming Love" A Different Kind of Review

A different kind of a review because I really didn't want to read this one . . .
O.K. I know your already expecting me to admit it.  So here goes without further delay.  I read it.  Yes I did.  I was being rebellious because when a friend kept saying over and over and over "You have to read this."  I finally had to give in because . . .
I was tired of hearing her say it again and again
And
I had nothing else to read. 
I know you've probably all read this amazing book.  I know I am probably the only fan of Christian romance to not have read this book.  Unless your a "new" fan and if you are well you probably haven't read it but you should.  Trust me if you ask your friends they'll tell you the same thing.  Here's a couple of quotes from other reviews . . .
"My friends went so far as to be absolutely horrified when I’ve told them I’ve never read this author, before! LOL. Now I can say that I have read a book by her, and it was really, really as good as they said! "
(Click here for the complete review.)
And . . . I had to post the following because it was like this reviewer got in my head and put more thoughts into words . . .
. Rivers skilfully weaves Hosea’s and Angel’s stories together, opening up their worlds, their hopes, their dreams and their fears to us. The narrative’s many twists and turns grip me and draw me along every time, but the reason I return to it year after year and recommend it to anyone who’ll listen is the novel’s window into the amazing love God has for his people. It makes me cry and cry and cry every time, being reminded of how fickle and ungrateful we are, and how patient God is, but most of all, how deeply it hurts him when we reject his love and kindness and return instead to the things we know are going to harm and hurt us.
(Click here for the review.)

O.K. if you haven't read it your wondering what is  all the hoop la about? 
Here's the summary from the author's site . . .
California’s gold country, 1850. A time when men sold their souls for a bag of gold and women sold their bodies for a place to sleep.  Angel expects nothing from men but betrayal. Sold into prostitution as a child, she survives by keeping her hatred alive. And what she hates most are the men who use her, leaving her empty and dead inside. Then she meets Michael Hosea. A man who seeks his Father’s heart in everything, Michael Hosea obeys God’s call to marry Angel and to love her unconditionally. Slowly, day by day, he defies Angel’s every bitter expectation until, despite her resistance her frozen heart begins to thaw. But with her unexpected softening come overwhelming feelings of unworthiness and fear. And so Angel runs. Back to the darkness, away from her husband’s pursuing love, terrified of the truth she can no longer deny: Her final healing must come from the One who loves her even more than Michael Hosea does…the One who will never let her go.  A life-changing story of God’s unconditional, redemptive, all-consuming love. Over 1 million copies sold!
Click here to go to the authors site for links to purchase the book.

Redeeming Love is an amazing story that reminds the reader of God's amazing love.   I was pleasantly surprised. 

And, I guess your wondering why didn't I want to read the book?  I am just not a fame of historical romances.  But I have say next time a friend suggests a book I think I'll read it!

2 comments:

Beth in NC said...

Ohhh, it was such a WONDERFUL book! My SIL gave me a copy of it for Christmas a few years ago. I never liked fiction and I basically turned my nose up to it. But how could I tell her I liked it if I didn't read it. So I picked it up AND COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN.

I highly recommend her Lineage series too! 5 small books about the women in the bloodline of Jesus. AWESOME stories. I couldn't put them down either.

Oh, I could list more, but I'll hush. Francine Rivers made me a lover of fiction now. I just never get a chance to read her books. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed my review of "Redeeming Love", and nope -- I don't mind that you quoted me. ;)

Thanks for stopping by Should Be Reading! :D

~MizB