Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

33 years of Marriage...

I have the key . . .

Last week I wrote about our date to celebrate our anniversary.  In June we were married 33 years.  My Cowboy makes lots of jokes like . . .
'We've been married 31 good years."  or days or hours before he'll say "if we make it"  He thinks he's clever. 

I laughed when I texted our daughters friend who works at the restaurant we were going to for a reservation.  She texts back and says "Cool how many years.?  Well she is the same age as my daughter 30.  So I texted back and said "At least 30 years. LOL." 

But 30 or 33 either one it's been a long time.  Sometimes a verrrrrrrrry long time. 

And do you wonder why or how?  Well is this the key?
 The key isn't a game of chance.   Or by playing games. 

Yes, there could be lots, and lots of reasons.  Lots of different keys or methods. 

And at least I've used different methods to make things work.  The method of keeping my mouth shut has been probably the most successful thing that I have done. 

But I would have to say the most important part of making a marriage work for any length of time is not really something either one of us has done.  It is something that God has done.    I think that
the most important thing has been Grace.  God's grace because without it My Cowboy would not have forgiven me for my short comings.  And I wouldn't have forgiven him.    It's because of the heart and spirit that God places in each of us. 
We've both prayed for each other and our marriage.  We've both stayed committed to God.  And we have both trusted him when we didn't feel like we could trust each other or ourselves. 
Even during the times that we haven't liked each other very much God has given us what we needed.
Yes, I admit there have been many times that I have stayed married because of my faith in God. 
And as I look back and think back I realize that is the easy part. 
The hard part is staying because you feel like it. 
I think the hard part is keeping the marriage alive. 
Keeping romance in the marriage. 
And that's what I find lacking (at least right now) 
We lack that excitement and romance. 
And even though I know the key to staying married I am looking for . . .
 So do you know the key to staying married.  Or do you know the key to having a good marriage.

Or can you help me find the key to finding or keeping the romance?  Leave me a comment. 


Memorizing God's word this week . . .

I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one. I in them and you in me.  May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and loved them even as you have loved me.  John 16:22-23

Finding the key to the Journey . . .

1 comment:

Denise said...

Praying many more happy years for you two.